- 2 sticks butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups flour
- raspberry jam
1. First, leave the margarine or butter out to soften to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius), and move the rack to the highest position.
3. Cream the vanilla into the butter or margarine. Then add the powdered sugar and cream it in too. Once it is well mixed, add the flour a little at a time and mix in. Stir until the dough has a smooth consistency.
4. Roll the dough into balls one inch in diameter. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet about two inches apart. Press your thumb into the center of each cookie, squishing it a bit and making a little well in the middle. (Do not press all the way through the ball, though!) Spoon a dab of raspberry jam into each well, filling it but taking care not to let them overflow.
5. Bake on the high rack for 12 minutes, or until just barely starting to brown at the edges.
6. Let cool on the pan for a minute, then transfer to a rack to cool to room temperature. Enjoy!
Store in an airtight container.
melissa ray davies