1 large white onion, chopped
2.5cm/1in piece of root ginger, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ Scotch bonnet chilli, seeds removed, chopped
4–5 sprigs thyme
400ml/14fl oz coconut milk
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
breadfruit or sweet potato chunks, to taste (optional)
- Cut the pumpkin in half, then into wedges. Peel and deseed each wedge and cut the pumpkin flesh into 2.5cm/1in cubes.
- Put the pumpkin in a large pan with the onion, ginger, garlic and chilli. Strip the leaves from the thyme and add to the pan.
- Pour in about 400ml/14fl oz of water, bring to the boil and cook until the pumpkin has turned to a pulp.
- Add the coconut milk and season to taste with salt, then reduce the heat and leave the soup to simmer for another 5–10 minutes.
- If you like, add chunks of breadfruit or sweet potato towards the end of the cooking. Serve hot in bowls.